Hinoki cypress ‘Crippsii’
* Botanical name: Chamaecyparis obtusa ‘Crippsii’
* What it is: A slow-growing, upright, pyramidal, soft-needled evergreen with golden foliage.
* Size: 12-15 feet tall, 7-8 feet wide in 15 years.
* Where to use: Excellent colorful evergreen specimen for center of an island garden or for softening a house corner. Full sun or part shade.
* Care: Optional scattering of acidifying organic granular fertilizer such as Holly-tone around base of plant in March. Keep damp the first season, then water needed only in a drought. Pruning not needed until it reaches space you’ve allowed. Lightly shear or prune back at end of winter to maintain desired size.
* Great partner: Gaillardia ‘Goblin’ or red daylilies.