* Common name: Russian (Siberian) cypress
* Botanical name: Microbiota decussata
* What it is: A low, spreading, soft-needled evergreen that makes a superb groundcover in shady or part-shade sites. Olive-green in summer turning purplish-brown in winter.
* Size: 1 foot tall with a 5- to 6-foot spread
* Where to use: Perfect for under and around trees or for shady to partly shaded banks and slopes.
* Care: Keep soil moist for first few years until plants are established, then little or no care is needed. No pruning necessary unless shoots grow beyond where you want. Seldom bothered by bugs, disease or animals, including deer. An annual spring scattering of Holly-tone or similar evergreen fertilizer is optional.
* Great partner: Any flowering tree or tall flowering shrub.