Dwarf goldthread falsecypress ‘Golden Mop’
* Common name: Dwarf goldthread falsecypress ‘Golden Mop’
* Botanical name: Chamaecyparis pisifera ‘Filifera Golden Mop’
* What it is: Almost unkillable and fairly compact evergreen with a shaggy habit and soft, thready, bright-gold needles.
* Size: Gets bigger than the listed 3 to 4 feet. Five feet tall and wide is a good realistic maintenance size.
* Where to use: Sunny banks, along driveways and other brutal sites. Overcomes poor soil and drought. Just avoid soggy soil. This is the shaggy golden evergreen often seen in shopping-center parking lots.
* Care: Water enough to get through the first year, then nothing. Annual spring feeding with Holly-tone is optional. With adequate space, no pruning needed. If it outgrows the space, cut back long stems to a joint with hand-pruners. No shearing! Don’t destroy the natural shape.
* Great partner: Red daylilies, such as ‘Pardon Me,’ ‘Red Hot Returns’ or ‘Ruby Stella.’